Continuous milk pasteurizers, also referred to as line pasteurizers use high temperature short time (HTST) pasteurization method. The milk is heated to a temperature of 72 C and held for 15 seconds and then cooled rapidly using the inbuilt heat exchanger.
This is a continuous milk processing method that is efficient and effective in destroying microorganisms in milk products when processing large qualities of milk. An HTST pasteurization system is a modular unit and includes,
- Balance tank
- Sanitary centrifugal pump with filter
- Plate, or tubular, heat exchanger with high thermal recovery
- Tubular holding
- Hot water preparing set
- Flow diversion valve
- Control panel system
Continuous pasteurization (HTST) has become more popular in the dairy and food processing industry due to many reasons.
Advantages of Continuous pasteurization (HTST)
- Its large equipment capacity allows large volumes of milk at one time
- The continuous process allows for packaging to begin as soon as pasteurization begins
- Highly energy efficient
- Minimal chance of damage to milk product
- Equipment is easy to clean and sterilize
- It is less troublesome
- Requires less staff
- It ensures milk is heated uniformly to the required temperature.
- The HTST pasteurization can keep milk for between 16 and 21 days.
Continuous pasteurization lines can be installed at site or be supplied as skid mounted pasteurizers depending on the clients needs. space available, and capacity of the processing plant.
It is also possible to include in-line the degasser, milk homogenizer, cream separator or other dairy equipment necessary for specific processing, which will be regulated and controlled by the inline pasteurizer’s control panel.