Continuous milk pasteurizers, also referred to as line pasteurizers use a high-temperature short-time (HTST) pasteurization method. The milk is heated to a temperature of 72 C and held for 15 seconds and then cooled rapidly using the inbuilt heat exchanger.
This is a continuous milk processing method that is efficient and effective in destroying microorganisms in milk products when processing large qualities of milk. An HTST pasteurization system is a modular unit that includes;
- Balance tank.
- Sanitary centrifugal pump with filter.
- Plate/tubular, heat exchanger with high thermal recovery.
- Tubular holding.
- Hot water preparation set.
- Flow diversion valve.
- Control panel system.
Continuous pasteurization (HTST) has become more popular in the dairy and food processing industry for many reasons.
Advantages of Continuous pasteurization (HTST)
- Its large equipment capacity allows large volumes of milk at one time.
- The continuous process allows for packaging to begin as soon as pasteurization begins.
- Highly energy efficient.
- Minimal chance of damage to the milk product.
- The equipment is easy to clean and sterilize.
- It is less troublesome.
- Requires less staff.
- It ensures milk is heated uniformly to the required temperature.
- The HTST pasteurization can keep milk for between 16 and 21 days.
Continuous pasteurization lines can be installed at the site or supplied as skid-mounted pasteurizers depending on the client’s needs. space available, and the capacity of the processing plant.
It is also possible to include in-line the degasser, milk homogenizer, cream separator, or other dairy equipment necessary for specific processing, which will be regulated and controlled by the inline pasteurizer’s control panel.